Monday 23 May 2011

Marlon Samuels satisfied with return to Test cricket with a fifty at St. Kitts


Marlon Samuels satisfied with return to Test cricket with a fifty at St. Kitts: Cricket News

West Indian middle-order batsman Marlon Samuels is satisfied with his return to Test cricket as he scores a fighting half century to save his team from a total disaster in the second Test against Pakistan at the Warner Park in St.Kitts.
The West Indians ended day two at 184/8, 88 runs behind Pakistan’s first innings score of 272. They could have been in further trouble if Samuels' contribution would not have been as big as it was given the struggle of hosts against the spin attack by the tourists.
Samuels, who was playing his first Test in more than three years, hit 2 sixes and 7 fours in his innings of 57 that came off 124 balls.
After his innings he stated that his form has been steady off late and he had the confidence that he was set to deliver big runs for his team even as the top order wobbled.
"I was hitting the ball very well. I came into this match with a lot of runs behind me and my confidence is high. Right now in my life, my form is a state of mind. I don't think my form will leave me at this moment and I am just stroking the ball the way I like and getting into the groove”. He stated
Samuels added that he had his eyes set on a hundred after he went past the fifty runs mark. He was aware that a century by him would give the team a real lift and take them to a good position, besides giving them the lead.
However he failed to sustain his knock and was sent packing as he tried to hit Saeed Ajmal out of the park for another six.
On the other hand the Pakistani fast bowler Tanvir Ahmed, who scored his maiden Test fifty, was glad with his contribution that took the team past the 250 runs mark. He added 78 runs for the last wicket with Ajmal who gave him good support.
Tanvir praised his partner for sticking it out with him in tough conditions and ensuring that his team added some extremely valuable runs late in the innings
"We needed those runs for the team, and it helped us to post a respectable total. I told Saeed Ajmal to try and play as straight as possible because they were bowling well, and he followed my advice, and I did the same, and it worked."
The partnership helped Pakistan get to a highly competitive score and they made immediate in-roads in the West Indian batting with Tanvir Ahmed accounting for Lendl Simmons in his very first over, by close of play the tourists had pushed themselves in a good position and if they knock over the last two batsmen cheaply they would be well and truly in control.

0 comments:

Post a Comment